One of the first things a preacher has to learn is to talk to his texts.They talk to you, and you must talk to them.
- Put questions to them. This is a most profitable and stimulating procedure.
- But at the same time never force your text.
- An idea may occur to you and it may excite you and thrill you; but if you find that you have to do some manipulating or forcing in order to make that fit into this particular text, don’t do it.
- You must sacrifice a good sermon rather than force a text.
- After this, or while doing this, you must check this understanding you have arrived at by consulting your lexicons and commentaries.
Martyn Lloyd Jones, Preaching and Preachers