II Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- The first basic truth that helps me understand how to study and preach the Bible is to understand that He chose every passage on purpose
- There is too much history to be contained in such a small book
- The Bible covers over 4,000 years of history and doctrine
- God left out large sections of information
- I must assume that He did that on purpose
- If all that Jesus did was in the Scriptures the word couldn’t contain them
John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
- God leaves great, big, gaping holes in the stor
- From Genesis 50 to Exodus 2 there are over 400 years of history we know little or nothing about
- From Malachi to Matthew another 400 years
- We know of Jesus birth then wait over 10 years for another update before waiting another 18 for the next news
- That means that all Scripture has a purpose, no wasted words
II Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works
- Since God has a purpose you must find His purpose
- You must let go of your purpose
- You are there to say what God wants said not what you feel needs to be said
- Is Jesus literally standing at a person’s heart knocking on the door or was that Jesus outside a church knocking to get in? What was the real purpose in that statement
- What should you learn from Jonah
- What God does to runaway preachers?
- Or Jonah knew God’s character better than you do?
- The book of Jonah mentions Jonah 18 times and the name of God appears 39 times.
- G. Campbell Morgan said men have looked so hard at the great fish in Jonah that they fail to see the great God
- Everything in Jonah obeyed except for Jonah who supposedly knew Him best
- I must study and learn why He said what He said because He wanted it said
- We say we believe the church belongs to God and not us … but for someone reason we work so hard to make sure they never hear from Him. Just our messages to them with the Bible as a footnote.
- Know that God put the emphasis on things that He wanted there.
- You shouldn’t be putting more emphasis on something than God does
- You want to learn to say what God said, try to get to all of it
- There will be things you do not understand nor can. If He wanted it clearer He would have made it so
- Don’t solve problems that God didn’t
- Don’t explain things that God didn’t
- Do not teach or preach anything that makes the people have to wear the DaVinci Code glasses or Joseph Smith’s either
- You will never understand God and His Word fully
- You will always be a student so remember to approach the Word humbly, to learn, to be taught